Monday, June 06, 2005

beautiful things come in big packages

Day Two
Ok so to finish telling the story... I was ready to go get her the next morning when m. called and said that everyone thought she'd be fine and she didn't need to go to the vet. I was a wreck, I still don't know exactly why I took it so hard. I was pissed that I lived in an area where people didn't care, I mean she had a broken leg that was literally just dangling there! I was upset that I was questioning my own instincts just because a group of farmers thought it was dumb. I was sad because I felt like such an outsider for caring.

I spent the morning bawling and in my mind I was going over all of the horrible things that could happen to her if I didn't help her. What if she got hit by a car again? What if the tractor hit her? What if the other dog picked on her and hurt her more? I decided, whether false or not, that if I didn't help her her leg would never heal properly and it would always hurt her and then she'd get hit by a car or drink antifreeze and die, like every other dog that had found it's way to the farm. That sounds harsh but it's true. In between fits of sobbing m. called me back and told me to do whatever I wanted to do, who cares if no one else thinks it's a good idea. I called my dad who always gives good advice and he told me I had to do what was in my heart. I decided I had to help her.

I called m. and asked him if he could bring her home. He said maybe it would be a good idea to call the vet the next morning and go from there. Honestly, I was crushed, I felt like the only person who I thought would agree with me didn't. I was seriously bummed but sometimes he does know what he's talking about. Five o'clock rolled around and I heard m. pull into the driveway. My heart jumped a little when I imagined him walking through the gate with her by his side. Then my heart seriously skipped a beat, she WAS with him!! He brought her home to me. I hugged him and he said she looked happier already...

No comments: